When bStorm approached us to start working on the project, SimplyTastly app has already been well established on the market. It had thousands of users and tons of user feedback with many requests for new features and changes to existing ones.Our first challenge was to work with the development team on aligning this feedback, changes brought on by new iPhone/iOS versions, client’s wishes, and our own experience-based vision.Additionally, the deadline to launch the new version was less than two months away, so we needed to act quickly and tightly integrate with bStorm’s team. This included adapting to their already set processes and procedures, so coordination with iOS developers would go smoothly.
Our joint - bStorm’s & Made Tight’s - team first worked on analyzing issues users had with the app. Besides user feedback, we used analytics numbers as well as heat maps to set the basis for the next steps in the project.Then, we moved on to wireframing the new app UX & UI. Once that was aligned, we worked on the new app design. During the whole project, we relied on an agile approach to solve any questions quickly and get to an optimal solution well before the deadline, so new SimplyTatsly can be thoroughly tested before going live.